Server v CD

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Server v CD

Post  Toby Andrews on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:12 am

I now have a Linn Akurate DS and have now concluded that digital audio replay should never ever be given back to silver round discs

I'm really quite excited by the DS and think it's one of the most astonishing hifi products I've ever bought, so apologies for being so gushing.

I initially loaned the Akurate DS from the dealer and used it exclusively in my system for almost a week before going back to my Akurate CD. Now I have been more than happy with the Akurate CD , it's an excellent CD player but returning to it after living with the DS reminded me of those old vinyl vs CD arguments. Put simply, the music collapsed, the sound seemed harsh and brittle, the music had somehow just lost something. Putting the DS back into the system brought he music back to life.

My only problem, the collector in me I know is going to miss having something to actually handle, touch and organise on the shelves Smile

Toby Andrews

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Server v CD

Post  Linn-user on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:46 am

I know what you mean, there is something tangible about having something you can physically hold where you have to use and interact with to play it in a machine. But it looks like even Naim are heading down this route and at the end of the day is this is the way we can listen to studio master quality it seems inevitable. Still it looks darn complicated to me and I am not convinced its the immediate nail in the coffin for CD as some seem to think.

But which one will I have to add to my rack; is the Akurate as good as a Klimax or is there a huge difference to justify the money. And it will be interesting to see how this sounds.

Dont ask me why but I would have thought Naim would have been one of the last to go down this route. Have they even got the N-Vi to work properly yet?

Linn-user

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-02-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Andrews on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:00 am

The Naim system, NaimNet and Linn's DS are two different types of products that both happen to use music stored on a hard drive as part of their solution.

NaimNet is basically a multi-room system in-a-box and although I'm sure Naim have taken a lot of effort to make it sound as good as they can it (I dont think) is not meant to be a replacementfor an an out-and-out dedicated CD player if all you want is high quality replay in a single room.

The Klimax DS on the other hand *is* designed and intended to replace and outperform a conventional CD player.

Toby Andrews

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Danny on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:12 am

Linn-user wrote:

Dont ask me why but I would have thought Naim would have been one of the last to go down this route. Have they even got the N-Vi to work properly yet?

Odd comment... Have Linn actually got the new Unidisc software bug free yet or the various incarnations of the streamers software?

Danny

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum