when to use speaker spikes??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

when to use speaker spikes??

Post  Sid on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:41 am

Based on the construction of your floor is there a time when you should or should not use speaker spikes? For instance, assuming both floors are carpeted, here in Arizona the vast majority of homes are built on cement slabs but in Michigan most homes had a basement and have wooden floors and floor joists underneath. Is there more of a reason to use floor spikes on the "springy" wooden floor versus the more "refective" hard surface of a cement slab floor? Do you ever choose not to use spikes on a carpeted floor and why?

Sid

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: when to use speaker spikes??

Post  Classsik on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:24 am

What are we trying to do when we fit spikes to speakers?

IMHO spikes were first fitted to speakers to aid isolation. Then someone had the contrary idea that they should embed the spikes into the floorboards to aid transfer of vibration.

Clearly transfer of vibration can be accommodated more easily using other techniques. I would thus reject the notion of using 'spikes to transfer vibration/energy'. There may be problem with this approach as energy transmitted to the floor in turn becomes airborne.

The reason that I use spikes on my speakers is to obtain some degree of isolation between the speakers and the floor through limiting physical contact. The idea here is to limit energy flow from speaker to ground and of course the ground to speaker - to limit interference.

Continuing the isolation theme I adopt the 'energy sink' approach to try to 'mop' up any energy still around at the interface between the floor and the speaker. This energy sink takes the form of a large slab of some heavy material (stone, marble etc) and the theory is that this 'massive' platform for the spiked speakers will not vibrate in any way and so will not transmit energy to the floor (or back up into the speaker). This of course will never be 100% successful.

The contrary argument for having a system which transfers energy from speakers to ground is of course also based on good evidence such that typical speakers made from MDF, veneered chipboard or other such materials radiate huge quantities of energy at certain frequencies. Of course speaker manufacturers go to great lengths to limit the effects of this through bracing and damping cabinets and isolating drive units within cabinets. It is likely however that speaker performance could be improved if this enegy could be dissipated or dumped somewhere - but perhaps not into wooden suspended floors where it is likely to be transferred back to the speakers and cause problems.

Whichever method we use it will compromise on some issue relating to the energy flow within and around speakers. Each technique is flawed and experimentation must be encouraged. I do however suggest that anyone thinking about speaker isolation or supports should first ask themselves a basic question. What am I trying to do and why?

Classsik

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ca996 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:04 am

I just got a pair of Akurate 242's for my rear surrounds and they did not come with the speaker stand. i want to spike mine but not sure of the size and even where to get them, I assume the spikes are 8mm?
Any help appreciated.
Larry

ca996

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DK on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:43 am

If there 8mm Linn replacements are readily available from ebay shops..

DK

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top